Sunday, May 2, 2010

Artist/Designer Studio Assessment

We are our own worst critic and, yet, we sometimes have difficulty analyzing ourselves. Critiquing oneself is not an easy task, because it is hard to find a balance between being too hard or too lenient on oneself. During this week, we had our presentations for one of our finals. I expect a lot so I will always be hard on myself. Critiquing my work is easier for me to do. There have only been a few occasions where I think I have done well. During my presentation, there were a few things I was not happy with and wished I had done differently. However, presentations there are some things I have learned from my classmates and myself.


Looking back at the work I had done there a few things I am not happy with and things I could have done better. Some of the things I was not happy with come from my board and presentation. My super graphic was one of them. I liked the graphic I had chosen but I was not happy with the size and how it looked on the board. Unfortunately, I had left it for one of my later tasks and did not have the time to have it redone the way I wanted it to come out. That incident altered my layout. Instead of having my super graphic encompass the board and place my images within it, half of my images were surrounding and covering parts of the graphic. Aside from the super graphic, there were the floor plan and elevations that were not good. As for my presentation, I was nervous but I was not as prepared as I should have been. I did not practice to figure out how to organize my thoughts for my presentation. That left me mentioning things at the end of my presentation or during questioning that were important enough where I should have mentioned them beforehand. Although there are a few minor things I would have liked to have done differently, my biggest thing was not making enough time to have done more research on my designer. Although, my intention to not focus my space around my designer would still be present, I would have integrated a couple of his designs into my space. I had an average presentation but I know I could have done better and now I know for my next presentation.

This final took a week for everyone to present. During this time, I have learned a few things. Although, I know I should have practiced my speech, I did not think of using note cards to guide me for a more organized performance. I was also aware of the different layouts created and took note of the ones that were more successful. Along with my own mistake, I learned to “own my space.” If I happen to make a mistake because I was not fully aware of my space during my planning, I can try to correct or supplement it in my presentation. I have learned a few things from this semester’s finals, however, I know that I will continue to observe and learn more over time. Regardless of how much time we spend doing something, we never stop learning new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment